Newspaper Archive of
Lake Stevens Journal
Lake Stevens, Washington
July 24, 1985     Lake Stevens Journal
PAGE 8     (8 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 8     (8 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 24, 1985
 

Newspaper Archive of Lake Stevens Journal produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2022. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Page 8 Lake Steven. lOl IRNAI, July 24, 1985 by Ad Shoudy, publisher The Lake Stevens Journal The first town council meeting of the newly incorporated City of Lake Stevens was held on December 13, 1960 at Mt. Pilchuck School. Bill Hawkins, the newly elected mayor, presided. Walt Stringer, Gayle Whitsell, Don Silcox, Peter Thaanum, and Wil- liam Taylor were the first five councilmen. All had been elected at the same time the community had voted to incorporate as a city. That had been at the November general election of 1960. The area included within the city limits had been chosen by a group of local citizens calling themselves the "Lake Stevens Associa- tion for Incorporation." About a sqaure mile area had been chosen; one third of which was a portion of the lake, including all of the cove. Population of the area was estimated by the County Auditor to be 900. At the first council meeting, Parker Williams was installed as city attorney, Karen Netherton as city clerk, and Keith Tidyman as treasurer. This is what the future downtown stretched all the way to Hartford. I of Lake Stevens looked like around Quite a few local people had been talking about town incorporation for several years. In the fall of 1959, Wait Stringer and Ad Shoudy, two local businesspeople, decided to call a meeting to discuss the possibilities and problems of incorporation, Twenty-five people attended. They decided to gather infor- mation on the subject, Sound out their neigh- bors. And if all looked favorable, launch a drive to put the proposition to a vote, The group grew. In the spring of 1960, police protection became an increasing prob- lem. Gangs of high school age kids came to downtown Lake Stevens on Friday and Saturday evenings and "took over" the corner where North Lakeshore Drive intersected Main Street. Mostly they were just "horsing around." But when a car approached "their" corner and honked to get through, the driver found he was in trouble. Twenty-five or thirty kids would surround his car, pick it up, and ease it off the ground - where it stayed until the driver calmed down, and the kids decided he could go. If someone called the sheriff's office for help, either on this kind of event or for investigation of a prowler, the answer was, "Sorry, all our men are busy in south county," There were only two street lights in town, both privately installed and paid for by P.U.D. billings to the owner. A volunteer group had been renting a small store space (about 10 ft. by 50 ft.) for a branch library of the Sno-Isle Regional System. The Sno-Isle people were about to withdraw their support unless better quarters could be supplied. 1910-1915. Notice the boardwalk. It the len ver In this photograph lent to the Lake Stevens Historical Society by Peter Thaanum, the boardwalk ce:; ~;,: clearly seen going ' along the main street in town past the Max Eggert home and the Eggert warehouse, leading to the La L:~ )ns bank. Across the street (at left, In the photo) is Dr. Orvllle Allen's clinic. In the foreground on the left is Dr, Parsons' drugstore. Ed Harrison, a pharmacist, purchased the drugstore from Dr. Parsons In 1914. The Assoc: incorporation street lights, local governme The new ( shortly after campaign was most of the n~ a year passed. The new Post Office the city bege old brick P.O the property was to use a a city hall attached frame of the constr but much work Part of concrete jail jail, a state a police offi was housed in requirements was not used. At a cou 1961, a plann Mayor Hawkins Bond, Willie Piercy and Eu( of the commis: mittees and since that fir In all, t people have se groups without volunteers h~ Out At Fans of cal Society a treat in of the soc calendar. Printed of 500 by calendar wJ public for t at a cost oJ dar project Lund org the assist, Herb Niege Doris Kelly have been wc to select with accurac If you C at the fe~ to pick on, Mitchell's 1 or Adams Hom You'll s~ from Lake St Mill, the Lc school pict photograph, the original The calez for framing on a cream p An addit is the adv the calenda entries on t